Sunday, September 26, 2010

One Tree Hill Favorite Teen Drama on TV

Written by Sherri Hicks


When I am flipping through my satellite channel guide at http://www.bestchoicetv.com/directv-programming.html, I like to do so with the doors closed and the volume down. This is because I have a guilty pleasure for teen dramas. I enjoy the angst and hormonal suffering that these beautiful and ungodly handsome teenagers face on a daily basis, and I identify with their facile plight in ways that I never could when I myself was a pimply, awkward teenager. However, in my opinion, there is one teen drama that stands out above the rest, and that is One Tree Hill.


For years I have followed these thirty year old actors play adolescent kids with style and grace and passion. I have studied the Shakespearean struggle of two brothers, Lucas and Nathan, as their rivalry takes on new levels of homo-eroticism. I have watched tragic struggles of the heroine Peyton and wept as she, like Oedipus, was thrown aside by the tides of fate, the pain too much to bear as she dipped her nose into white hills of Bolivian marching powder. I scoff at the very idea that this is just another retread of the beautiful teen soap opera formula, and I will argue to the death that the pathos showed in One Tree Hill is like no other. It speaks to me in ways that words cannot quantify, because words can never really say what is in our hearts.


No comments:

Post a Comment